References, an Applicant Element, is used to seek reference information from applicants. These reference settings are globally applied to all job templates and posted jobs when references are included as part of a job template. Users with permissions will have an opportunity when creating a template or posting a job to activate references, designating them to Part 1 or Part 2 of an application, and define the number of requested references on a job-by-job basis.
The following reference fields are available in your hiring system. The Name, Company and Title fields will always be required when using references. By default, the Phone and Email fields will be set as Optional and the Instructions to Applicants will be blank.
- Instructions to Applicants: Optional
- Name: Required
- Company: Required
- Title: Required
- Phone: Required or Optional
- Email: Required or Optional
The Account Administrator can change the default fields from Optional to Required for all job templates and can include detailed Instructions to all applicants using the text editor.
- Select Applicant Elements > System > References from the menu.
- Review reference settings:
- Add text in the Instructions to Applicants field to provide directions to your applicants. If used, this text will show on the References page of every application. Since this is an optional field if left blank it will simply not be shown.
- Select the preferred setting for the Phone field to either Required or Optional.
- Select the preferred setting for the Email field to either Required or Optional.
- Click Save to confirm the changes.